Friday, December 22, 2006

Dear Family and Friends, Christmas 2006

I did not send a Christmas letter with our holiday cards this year although I thought a lot about it. Truthfully I was just so proud of getting the cards out "on time" that I did not want to add another component that might add to everyone seeing them sometime in 2007. I thought maybe I would write our letter here for everyone to enjoy (or ignore in favor of the much more important photos of Ella that precede and will shortly follow this post). So, here goes...

I hope this finds you enjoying a very happy and healthy holiday season with all the people who are important to you. As you know, 2006 has been the most amazing year of my life and so much more than I ever imagined it could be. Finally meeting Ella in April and having these past 8 months to form our family has been a gift that I cannot describe, but one for which I am so truly grateful.

Uncle Rob and I met this scared little girl on April 19th and you should just see her now. She spent a "sick" day at home with Grandpa Bob (or "Bob" as she calls him) today and was laughing out loud when I walked in. That really is the perfect description of this lovely little girl I am privileged to know. She is chatting up a storm (you can understand about half of what she says) and running (and kicking) all the time. She says "yeah" as often as "no" now when she is asked a question (and means the one she says about half the time). She is swimming in the bathtub and loves to dance and sing (Row, Row, Row your Boat being the current favorite and request). Her favorite character is "Melmo" and the Wiggles and she carries around the cheetah that grandma bought at Brookfield this summer. Her giggle is the most amazing sound I have ever heard and that smile just melts my heart.

For those of you who are parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and all those loving things, you know the absolute joy that a little one brings to you. I am looking forward to this Christmas and Ella watching the tree and its lights (and asking you to explain every ornament many times). She doesn't really get the Santa concept yet but she sure likes opening presents! Imagine the fun she'll have when she sees that kitchen waiting for her on Christmas morning.

I was at a client meeting yesterday and the client said to me that I looked happy and that I needed Ella in my life. I think that is an amazingly apt observation, she has made my life more than I ever imagined it could be. Even on the most challenging day I look at her and cannot believe how lucky I am that we are a family and I get to hear her call me "mom". There is nothing else in the world quite like it.

Another amazing gift that we received this year has been the love and support of so many of you. I should say that family and friends have stepped in to help care for her when she is sick (or I am) and I know how incredibly lucky we are. In addition to daycare her Aunt Pam and our dear friends Diana, Ross, Noah, Jake, Rachel and Mira (Mimi) take care of her each week so she is surrounded by people who love her when I am at work.

More than anything, I appreciate in a way I never did before the love and support of my parents who have gone so far above and beyond what I could expect. I hope they know how much I appreciate that and how much Ella and I love them. It is amazing to watch this little girl who entered our life just 8 short months ago light up when she sees her cousin Sean (as far as she is concerned he is the Beatles, you should hear her squeal) or laugh when she sees Grandma and Grandpa. How far we have come from that little one at the airport who would not let anyone else hold her to the little extrovert that would rather hang out with Aunt Pam or Aunt Jenny when they are around. She was not born into our family but she could not be more a part of all us than if she had been.

We hope that you have a wonderful holiday season and that 2007 brings you all the amazing things that you wish for.

Love,

Kim and Ella

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home