The Language of Adoption
Referrals for people whose documents went to China in the early part of April 2005 came last week. When I told several people that information (people not a part of this world of adoption), they looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language. Then I realized that I really am. Much like law school, the world of adoption has created a language all its own that makes it difficult for my family and friends to know what I am talking about most of the time. Since I spend so much of my time on-line chatting with people who are also adopting, it is hard to remember that not everyone has the same frame of reference that I do (or the same obsession with the topic that I do at this point).
So, in anticipation of the coming months and my own referral, I thought I might post a small primer on the language and acronyms of the foreign adoption process. Of course, this list is not all-inclusive but I hope it helps someone to feel like they know what I am talking about occasionally.
HFS - Harrah Family Services is my adoption agency located in Spring, Texas
CCAA - China Center for Adoption Affairs is the agency in China that reviewed my adoption application and will match me with my daughter from the files of children available for foreign adoption
DTC - Documents to China is the day that my dossier/application was sent by my agency to China
LID - Log in Date is the day that the CCAA accepted my application and the date from which the wait for a referral begins
Referral - My referral is the packet of information I will receive that identifies my daughter, who she is, where she is and some other information about her health and living conditions
TA - Travel Approval is when my travel group gets approval from the CCAA to travel to China to unite with our children
Travel Group - The families whose documents were sent to China on the same date, they will travel with us
CA - Consulate Appointment is the final step in China where we go the American Consulate in China to finish the American portion of her adoption
I am sure there are other things I don't even think about anymore that have become a part of my everyday language.
Everytime that I tell my mom that referrals came in, she asks if it is mine. I always think that is so funny because wouldn't she already know if we would soon find out about her granddaughter. But then I realize that she doesn't live with this foreign language everyday like I do. So, Mom, just so you know, before it is time for Ella's referral to come, believe me, you will know. You will probably have to prop me up because I think it is going to be an amazingly overwhelming day to get that first information and see those first pictures of my daughter. She has been such a part of my imagination for so long now that it is hard to imagine her in real life. Of course, I will get over that very quickly!
So, my aunt's are coming from Ohio tomorrow to start on Ella's 100 Good Wishes Quilt. So absolutely amazing of them. I will write later in the week to tell you all about that extravaganza!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home