Monday, April 24, 2006

A Visit to the Orphanage (SWI) and Zhangshu City

It is pretty late here and for some reason I cannot sleep (I am sure I will regret that shortly) so while Ella and Rob get some sleep I thought I would describe a bit of our day.

As Rob told you, the biggest part of our schedule today was the visit to Zhangshu City and the SWI (Social Welfare Institute - called this because in addition to housing the babies they also care for some of the elderly population). I must admit to a little apprehension in going there but I did always plan to go if given the opportunity because I know how important this part of history is to Ella later. Even though our bonding has been going well, there is that part of me that worried that if she saw the staff who took such good care of her she would want to go to them. She certainly recognized people there and was happy (dancing to see them) but they did not hold any of the babies today although I am sure some of them (and some of the babies as well) would have liked that very much. It is hard to explain as it does look something like the referral pictures, today there were beautiful purple flowers out in front of the SWI, and in some ways it looked nothing like I expected. We got to see the room that she shared with Hailey and Jasmine and Uncle Rob got video that we can look at later and share with Ella. The staff, including the director were clearly happy to see the babies and I am so glad that we went and can include these memories and photos for Ella's life book.

Zhangshu City was much larger than I expected (for some reason I was expecting a village, I guess) and had lots of parts under construction. One thing we saw was a really good middle school (thanks to Mary for the tour) where the kids were getting out for lunch. It was just a sea of children coming out who would return for the second half of their day. We also saw a local winery and many government buildings.

On a lighter note, we did have restroom breaks on each leg of the trip and the look on the women's faces as they came away from the squat potties was quite amusing. According to Mary, the Chinese think the concept of Western toilets is just as odd and unsanitary as we view the squat potty system. I am sure that each has its advantages.

Ella had a great day. She is still working on the cold but she is truly a happy baby. As long as you don't wake her up prematurely, she is happy and smiling (and sometimes dancing) when she wakes up. She slept in the carrier on the bus both to and from Zhangshu City and as long as she can look around is happy to hang out (at least for now). She had her first piece of birthday cake with us tonight and it was really nice to celebrate with all the families.

Tomorrow we are off to pick up the babie's passports and do some shopping. I cannot imagine that later tonight I have to pack for the second leg of the trip. Since I had so much help before I better start planning now!! I know, fold the clothes.

Talk to you soon.

3 Comments:

At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ( I'm a friend of Ileana and Chris)
I've been following your trip and Ella is just beautiful. You were so lucky to be able to videotape the SWI. We are using Harrah's for #2 and waiting for our referral. It has been so much fun following you guys. Enjoy!!!
Lisa

 
At 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, could Uncle Rob just pop his face into a photo? I really need to put a face with the commentary!

Glad the visit to the SWI went well.

Kristi

 
At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Kim & Rob -
I'm so glad things are going great. I've really enjoyed reading the blog and seeing pictures of Ella. She is just too precious.
Love, Monica Shetsky

 

Post a Comment

<< Home