Saturday, April 22, 2006

Being a First Time Mom (Day 4)

So, I am learning (or trying to anyway). I have been e-mailing a couple of friends at home (both China moms) as Ella has had a cough and congestion since day 1. Trying to figure out what medicine of the many I brought along I should give to her or whether I should take her to the doctor or what. It is hard for me to express (and many already understand this) how strange it is all of a sudden to be the decisionmaker for another person, and someone who can't tell me what she needs or wants to boot. I guess I just don't want to do anything wrong, and we all know that I will do just that many times.

Today Ella woke up and she didn't seem any better so we went to the clinic doctor here at the hotel for a check-up. Interesting concept really, a bit like the Love Boat but the doctor didn't really remind me of him. Anyway, she took a look and in addition to telling me how beautiful Ella is (we hear that a lot), she said she just has a little cold, nothing wrong with her ears and no bronchitis. Now I just have to alleviate her current symptoms and we'll be good. I think they think I'm a little nuts but I just want to make the right choices when I can.

So, a little more about her, she can wave although I rarely know why (she was waving to people on the TV while eating her dinner), she has a little curl to her hair, she makes a lot of noises that at first we thought were part of crying but it turns out she just likes to make loud noises (and they obviously get a response!)

The response of the Chinese people is really interesting. Yesterday at the beautiful Pavilion and even today in the lobby people come up to us and ask if she is a Chinese baby and then tell me how beautiful she is. Lots ask if she is a boy or girl and make faces at her and touch her. She seems to take it all in stride at this point and is happy for the attention. Rob and I were discussing the reactions and wondering what people think of us here for this purpose. I had one older woman say that I had a "good heart" today but lots of people stare, no smile and I wonder what they are thinking. In all, the local population has been very friendly trying out their English and interacting with all of us.

Today, because of a nap that she couldn't miss (I woke her from one yesterday and will try not to do that again) I missed the trip to a local park and local village. Rob will have to give you the details, I understand it was very interesting and amazing that we were invited by a local family into their home.

I think tomorrow is a general paperwork and then maybe shopping on our own day. Ella and I went down to the playroom with Elizabeth and her daughter Nina to check it out so hopefully we can get the little ones together to hang out for a bit (not on a bus)tomorrow. Monday we have our trip to the orphanage and I am really looking forward to having those memories and photos for Ella.

It's about 8:00 pm here today and Ella is asleep, Uncle Rob is trying to sleep (very early for him) and I am soon to follow I think. I did sleep during her nap today but as many of you know, this is just a very different kind of tired. I don't mind it, just don't know when she'll be up next.

It was a good day, just looking at her face makes my heart beat. And by the way, I think those developmental reports saying she could be a bit naughty, right on target. More on that later. Love from China.

Kim

3 Comments:

At 8:03 AM, Blogger Paynes in China said...

You're going to think I am cold but you need to get that baby to sleep on the bus. Be careful not to miss all of the touring - it really is part of the experience of going. It's nice that Rob goes but you should go and experience that stuff first-hand. It is good to hear that her illness is just a cold - Sophie and all of her friends came with colds and bounced back well.

 
At 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Ella is under the weather. When Rachel is sick, I can't always comfort her either, it has nothing to do with your mothering abilities. Ella is absolutely adorable. We can't wait to meet her. The cats are fine. The boys were very sweet to them, but Rachel took one look at Jack and screamed. Jack handled it well. I'm just warming them up for Ella! Can't wait to meet her.

 
At 5:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YIkes! The previous comment was from Diana. Forgot to put my name (although you probably figured it out!).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home