Thursday, April 20, 2006

Late Night Play and the Day that Followed

Hi Everyone-

I wasn't sure I was going to get a chance to access the blog today even though I have some great pictures of Ella, and by herself finally. We have had a really up and down day but she is finally asleep, at least for a little while. As Rob told you, she got up around 1:00 am and finally ate something so that was great. She was actually smiling and laughing and playing with me (hence the photos) for the 1 1/2 hours we were awake in the middle of the night. She went back to sleep pretty well, I didn't find it so easy. I spent a lot of time just watching her face (and making sure she is breathing!)

She got up again about 5:30 and again was a pretty smily and happy baby until breakfast time. She ate a bit of congee and watermelon but mostly liked the opportunity to scope out the people around the restaurant, lots of babies to watch. I don't think she much cares of our rooms (screams as we come back up). She was really restless when we got to the room so no shower for me (hence the lack of lots of smiling in the photos, I think) and off to the registrar and notary. The folks from the orphanage who dropped her off yesterday were there and that was clearly a struggle for her. She looks around the room a lot, clearly looking for someone. She does reach out for me for comfort or when others are around but she is very sad and that is harder than I expected.

After our meetings and her official status as the newest member of the Bahna clan, we did head to Walmart and McDonald's (Chris, I would just like to point out that was not our decision and I stayed on the bus with a sleeping Ella. Mary did comment that our group likes our "american food". I promptly asked if we could have a group dinner at a local restaurant tonight which we missed as she spent a lot of the afternoon pretty inconsolable and finally fell asleep right before the scheduled dinner time). We got back to the room and she slept fitfully on and off. Thanks to Ileana and Stacy's help, we did give her some medicine and I did try to give her the teething medicine (hated it!) Finally I layed down with her on my bed and there she still sleeps. I know the grieving process is part of this whole thing but not being able to console her has been much harder than I expected (as all parents and caregivers know already). I am hopeful she will sleep a bit longer but sure she won't sleep through the night. Some more medicine for her cold and teething as well as a very late dinner are part of our schedule for the evening.

Before I forget, I must say that in addition to the amazing posting and second view of the trip that Rob is providing for everyone, he is taking amazing care of Ella and I so we are very lucky! I joked about him coming along as the packmule but he did a lot of toting all our stuff as I carried a sleeping (or trying to) Ella around the city today. Tomorrow we start some touring, hopefully Ella will be up to outings by then.

So, the big question, how big is she really? She is in 12 month stuff and it seems a little big but fits just fine. She probably weighs about the reported 20 pounds (we'll have an official weight when we get to Guanzhou). The big surprise is that she has pretty big feet and the weirdest thing, she has the fourth toe that curls under just like her Mom and Grandma, I just noticed it this morning as we played "toes" on the bed.

Well, before she wakes up (or the other option we let her scream with Uncle Rob holding her), I am going to get in a shower and then go back to sleep with her (best advice ever, "sleep when she sleeps". I just looked over and Rob is asleep so we will add this morning's photos later.

8 Comments:

At 9:50 AM, Blogger Paynes in China said...

It's nice to hear you showered - hopefully you are smiling now (or at least sleeping with a smile on your face). Too bad you missed the group dinner - I am sure there will be more. I don't know how we convince the guides that not all Americans will waste away if they don't get their fill of Mickey D's.

 
At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just keep boycotting McDonald's! We survived two and half weeks without any American tract food.

I'd love to see Uncle Rob. Maybe you can get a picture of him to add to the blog.

Kristi

 
At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim:

Hope your shower was great. Sounds
like you entered motherhood with
a bang. Things will get better.
Sounds like you & Rob are coping
very well. Hope your day is better.

Love, Dad

 
At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to motherhood. You won't be eating another warm meal until you get a babysitter for the evening! And I love that you guys both had striped shirts on. Now head to Tiffanies and get those matching silk outfits!!
love ileana

 
At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing how quick you can take a shower when you become a mommy!! You are doing great!! BTW, there are some holistic teething tablets you can get when you get back to the States, both my kids loved them and they dissolve instantly.

Hugs,
Stehpanie

 
At 9:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ella,
You are the answer to your moms dreams. She will guide and protect you for the rest of your life. What a miracle your birth mom created and let you go to bring joy and sunshine to a stranger in a foreign land. Kim, you have been taught by the most loving parents how to give love therefore, your very own daughter, Ella will reap the results. Can't wait to meet you Ella. Hope you like the blanket I made for you - it was made with so much love.

Love, Monica S.

 
At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim, I still can't get over how beautiful Ella is - she is just an angel! You're doing a fantastic job and should be so proud of yourself - you're a super mommy to Ella. Counting down the days when we pick you guys up at the airport - CAN'T WAIT - HURRY HOME!!
Love, Jen & Jeffrey xoxoxoxoxo

 
At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kim and Rob:

The pictures are great. Really enjoy getting to see Ella and Kim so far. Kim, you'll have to turn the camera on Rob so everyone can see who is there lending you so much support.
Remember every day will get a little better. Ella is dealing with so much right now, the seperation, teething and a cold anyone of those would make her out of sorts but combined, thats a lot for someone so little.
Hope your all getting SOME rest you'll need it as you travel through China.
Love, Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home