The arrival - Rob's take
26 hours later - we are in our hotel rooms - finally (although Kim refuses to leave my room until I am done posting this evening, we are both a little punchy). If you need to know anything about the Beijing airport - let us know.
(Even though we had the conversation about the water - we both managed to brush our teeth with tap water when we first got to the hotel. Duck tape and a bottle in the sink it is...)
The hotel is very nice - and we learned a lot from our guide on the 25 minute ride from the deserted airport. This is a really interesting province known for their porceline. The driver of our van (somewhat Bob Like) refused to get it over 40 MPH - and loved the lane behind the trucks.... We look forward to seeing the area in the daylight tomorrow.
I have to say I am honered that Kim asked me to be a part of this. It is fun and a thrill to watch the emotions she is going through right now. She is nervous - and rightfully so - her life completely changes tomorrow. She will be a great mom -Ella.
Ella, I started a little story for you that I will continue to work on while I am in your home land and once we get you HOME.
What Took You So Long To Change Our World - The story of Ella
A gift to a family already blessed. But like most – we do not really appreciate just how blessed we already were.
Thanks to those who made the unselfish and incredibly difficult sacrifice to give Ella over in hopes of a “better” life. We hope we can give her a life that exceeds those expectations and makes it filled with love, happiness, friendship, family and joy.
But most of all – we hope she always feels the unconditional love that was meant for her. From all.
Ella, your new Mom and I just arrived in China. After months of waiting it happened so quickly. After all the waiting it is hard to believe that it is finally taking place. Although the announcement came very quickly (did I mention after a lot of waiting?) and did not give us a chance to really get ready – in some ways it is the way it should be. You have not been given many choices that you could control so far in your young life. Maybe this is a way to help us understand your circumstances just a little bit more.
Ella, whether you like it or not - I am your uncle Rob. And you will soon meet my beautiful wife - your aunt Jenny. Believe it or not - she has put up with me for 13 years and has been great about this trip... As difficult as it has been for reasons you might understand as you grow older.
I am two years younger than your Mom – my oldest sister Kim. Your aunt Pam is right in between us. As I write this I am 37 years old – born 1n 1968 – two years after your Mom – Kimberly Susan Bahna. (We will tell you all about the nicknames and private jokes as you get old enough to use them to your benefit). Again, I am fortunate that your new mommy asked me to come with her to take you from your birth home to what we hope will always feel like your real HOME.
HOME is an interesting word. Technically it means a “place where one lives”.
But to me – that is the least important piece of the puzzle.
And I can't wait until tommorrow when you get to look at your new mom - and then scream at me and how I look to you in your eyes. And I can't wait to share the picture with the rest of the people reading this.....I would not want to miss that moment for anything. Even the 350 pound guy sitting on my lap on the plane.
More tommorow.....

8 Comments:
Hey guys, I am so glad you made it safe and sound - love the blogging. Enjoy Nanchang. Hopefully there will be dancers at the grocery store!
OK Uncle Rob, you're making me teary and you don't even have Ella yet!
Glad to hear you made it safely. And I sure do hope there are dancers at the grocery store.
I am glad that you both made it to China safely! Kim, I am so excited for you. Hopefully you are getting a good night sleep as I am writing this. My thoughts will be with you tomorrow. Rob's story is great. I'm already crying and you don't even have her yet!! I am looking forward to seeing lots of pictures! Take care- Susie
Hi! I am so excited for you Kim! You will be a great mom! I love the story Rob is writing - it will be something for Ella to treasure in years to come. Can't wait to see the pictures. Michele (Rioux)
Kim & Rob glad to hear you made it safely. Picking on your Dad already
even if you just got there. Great article by both of you. Looking forward to the next couple of days.
Love, Dad
I had to read this twice - I didn't realize it was Uncle Rob getting so emotional. I can't say that I am getting tear but...
Hello Rob & Kim - I'm so happy you made it to China safely. I miss you both very much already! Ok, I admit I cried when I read your blogs. Rob, the book you're writing for Ella is just amazing - you truly are talented and Ella is so lucky to have you as her uncle. Kim, I received your card today - thanks so much - I appreciate your kind words. I can't imagine what you're feeling write now - you will soon have your beautiful daughter in your arms. Look forward to reading more tommorrow - Send lot's of pictures. Miss and Love you guys. Get some sleep and give Ella lot's of hugs and kisses from us - xoxoxo
Kim & Rob,
Was relieved when I read that you were on the ground in China safely.
I kept looking at the clock yesterday and knew that you were still in the air "somewhere".
Now that the end of your waiting is merely hours away wish we could all be there to share this dream come true for you. The next best thing is this blog and the pict-
ures that we will be able to share with you,so keep them coming.
Rob, your entry made me laugh out loud at work so I had to share it.
Looking forward to your next installment.
Love, Mom
Post a Comment
<< Home