Gotcha day - Pre-Ella -from Rob
Some of this is cut directly from my writings to help Ella understand her past - and the rest is added in for the blog. (We are trying to keep this so that those of you who have been through it remember the little things - but don't get bored with all the details - and those who have never been through it see it from my eyes.) Sorry if it loses flow or changes first/second/third person midstream.
It is 45 minutes until we get to meet you on what is traditionally known as “Gotcha Day”. You could hardly know it yet – but in 45 minutes your life will change in ways you don’t even comprehend yet. So will your mom’s.
We just got done meeting with the families and our three guides where the lead guide, Mary, explained how things would work this afternoon, and gave us a little of what to expect – and not to panic if things aren’t perfect. They are staying at the hotel with us to help out if we need anything.
One of the guides was looking at the room list and noticed that Kim and I are in different rooms – but with the same name. She politely, in broken English, tried to figure out what the deal was. Your mom explained that I was her brother – not the new father. I wanted to tell her that I was rooming with my other 2 wives – but I find my sarcasm loses something in the translation.
For those ignorant of the ways of China (like I am – and Kim already knew all this) I learned a lot - like all children are potty trained in China as infants. They have squat toilets that are used just like they sound. With some of your uncle’s friends – I am so glad we don’t have those in the US. But we will bring a diaper. All the kids in China pretty much go to the bathroom anywhere – sounds a lot like college. Hail Alma Matter/Go Chief – since that was decided for you at lunch today.
The delivered your blue crib with bears and bunnies (we are not sure if it is a Panda or what kind of bear it really is) and your little pink tub with a bunny, kitten and puppy to your uncle’s room today. Please forgive me for the pictures of your first bath in this tub – but I know your mom is going to make me do it. I promise one day you won’t mind them any more – I just can’t tell you at what age that will be…
Your mom is laying on my bed rambling right now – trying to get through the next
half an hour. She just told me that the strange thing is even now, after all the time, sitting in all these meetings and coming all this way and hoping and praying – it does not seem real yet. Sometimes the things we look forward to most in life don’t meet up with our expectations – but this won’t be one of those times. Not even close.
We ate lunch together in the hotel today – her “last meal” B.E. (before Ella). Probably the cleanest her cloths will be after being at a table for a long time. There were many other families in the cafe from Spain and France who had adopted little girl’s from China as well. It was interesting to watch them – we found ourselves staring at them wondering what you will be like in your first meals with your mom (I’ll let you know later…..)
5 minutes to being an uncle one more time. This never gets old.
The next post will be almost all pictures. I promise.
Rob

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home