Thursday, April 27, 2006

Day 9 - Uncle Rob

Ella:

Today was your first exposure to shopping – American style. We started off at the Pearl market – where your mom went crazy and bought enough pearls to start a store of her own. Your uncle Rob – much more practical – managed to get out with only a little damage. (One being a necklace of white pearls for you as you grow older…in addition to being your uncle I also am blessed to be your godfather)…One goal I know your mom has is to do the best we can to help you understand and appreciate the culture of your heritage. This is by far the furthest in advance of any gifts I have ever purchased.

By the way, the Godfather also happens to be my favorite movie. So once a year, you and your uncle are going to have a date day – in which we watch all three of the Godfather movies together (yes even the 3rd one). Popcorn, Pizza, Milk Duds, Snowcaps, Coke and a good horse head – what could be better…I have a feeling your mom won’t let that happen for a little bit – she won’t even let me play Larry the Cable Guy for you on the IPOD yet. We might have to settle for Disney for now…

At the White Swan hotel today – we got some great pictures of you and the whole group. Unfortunately, the CD that was in the camcorder is corrupt – and I am trying to get that back right now.

I learned today that province we are in has over 30 million people in it. Several Americans approached us at the bar in the White Swan just to talk and say hi and to meet your girlfriend Bella while you were out shopping. It is amazing how everyone here interacts with the babies – they do not look for permission in this culture – it is just a given. Different, but kind of nice.

Last night while walking around the neighborhood we met an interesting gentleman who kept saying, “Hi – how are you.” And that was the only English he spoke. Very nice – and he followed us for blocks and seemed to be in front of us everywhere we went? Don’t know how to describe it other than very strange. Of course if we were at home I would answered with – I am the same as the last 10 times you asked me in the past 5 minutes…. It is actually kind of ironic - because it is one of the things I try to teach our salespeople not to use - and now it will be even more on my mind.

By the way your 5 little teeth can really do some damage. Your mom had me feed you (presumably so that you could bite me too - I guess she didn’t want to be the only able to enjoy that experience…) She is always generous that way.. We are sticking to silverware from now on. Like your pictures show, you have the cutest and softest cheeks. And you love to be kissed on them - it is hard to resist - even with the little drool thing you have going on.

You looked beautiful in your traditional red Chinese dress that mom had made for you. Even if it is a little shorter than your uncle would like to see. I believe we are going to need to institute a below the knee rule on clothing once we get home…And remember that all of your dates have to meet me before hand. Sorry about that too. And I know you are only 9 ½ months old right now – but we need to make sure of these things early.

Uncle Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home