My Big Sister
Kim:
It is hard to believe that this journey is coming to an end. I am honored and privileged to have been a small part of it. How do you describe watching someone you love’s dreams come true….I know I am not capable in words. And it is a gift that you have given me that I will cherish always.
I remember you taking me “apartment” hunting down in Champaign when I went to school – and your concern that I was looking at places about twice as much as mom told you to show me. You were worried that I would get you in trouble. (Of course I picked the one with the pool and sauna – much more than I was supposed too. Go figure.)
I remember sitting with you during the opening speeches at Georgetown when you first went out to law school and the picnic afterwards. We have shared a lot and have a special bond – much of it not expressed because (shocker) I am not always the best at sharing my feelings. I was very proud of you then – and I am even more proud now.
And now we sit in China – with your dreams of becoming a mother coming true. This is a strange journey we call life. 2 Nights left – and I am writing one last blog to you and one last one to Ella. Then the rest in yours…
We don’t get to choose family. We get what we are stuck with. But I would have chosen you if I could have been so lucky. You are a little opinionated. (And a little too liberal for my taste.) But you are a very special person. One who has never really realized how special. I hope Ella helps you realize that. Because she is very special – and I have a feeling there is no way she would have found you if you weren’t as well.
I have enjoyed watching your eyes light up when you see her. Watching the smile on your face when she smiles up at you. Watching you grow more confident each day. Watching you become a MOM. You have done a remarkable job.
There will be tough times ahead. I wish we could guarantee there would be no time she might yell out in anger “I hate you” or “my real mom”….There will be times that being a single mom will be draining and you will feel like tearing your hair out (don’t – you might look like me…) But through it all – just show her all the love you can. Be a role model for her, and be her mom who is always there for her. You had a great teacher for that.
I promise to try and be the best uncle I can be. I am honored to be her godfather. Jenny and I are always here if you need anything. Ella is a very lucky young lady to have found you. And when all is said and done, I am confident that she would haven chosen you too…
I love you.
Your little brother…
Rob

1 Comments:
Rob -
As I sit here and read the last entry you made to both Kim and Ella all I can do is laugh and cry. They are both so lucky to have you in their lives. You truly are a wonderful brother, uncle, husband and best friend. Thank you for taking us with you on this beautiful journey to pick up our sweet, precious niece Ella. Again, I'm so proud of you! Have a safe trip home and we love you!
Love, Jen & Jeffrey xoxox
Post a Comment
<< Home